Canine Coat Testing
VetGen offers panel testing for color in dogs. Sample collection is via oral cheek swabs (included in the price) and testing takes around two weeks if we get a result on the first try. Please note that you may not receive all the color reports on the same day.
(NOTE FOR FRENCH BULLDOG ONLY: VetGen Lab tests (the b test) for all discovered mutations for chocolate in dogs. However there are many French bulldogs that are chocolate due to an as yet undiscovered mutation(s). There is no test for this mutation yet and VetGen is doing research at this time.)
- d = dilute (undiscovered in some breeds)
- e = yellow/cream/white-cream-apricot-red
- b = black vs chocolate,liver
- Ay = fawn/sable
- "a" = recessive black
- at = tan points (phantom)
- k = re tan points, tri color, brindling and whether these can be expressed in the coat or not (this test is viewed in conjunction with all three A tests to determine part of the color evaluation)
- S = white patches (parti,piebald etc.)
- EM = mask
- F = Furnishings (improper coat)
- C = curly
- CL = coat length (long vs short,texture)
Some panels (K,Ay,a,at) are comprehensive testing for tri color which is not due to just a single mutation. We strongly encourage panel testing since once it is complete, and also for the prospective mate, the color scientists here can give more complete answers re probabilities for offspring.
These panels can be found on your breed specific shopping cart page.
Pricing for individual coat tests instead of panels is:
First coat test = $65
Any additional coat tests same dog = $20 each
First coat test = $65
Any additional coat tests same dog= $20 each
As you click on the Animal # in the shopping cart, you will see the prices discount accordingly.
Please follow these steps to place an order for any of these coat tests or to order coat test panels:
- On the homepage, click on PLACE A CANINE ORDER ONLINE NOW.
- Find your breed in the list that opens and click on it to open a breed specific shopping cart page.
- Any applicable discounting will appear as you place tests into the cart and then label them by animal number 1, animal number 2 etc.
- Our oral cheek brush sample collection kit will then be sent to you or to a "SHIP TO".
VetGen Customer Service